Question: Do you believe the crew did the right thing in abandoning the search for Mark? Was there an alternative choice?
This question is such a tricky one, considering the different perspectives that have to be taken into account. One, from the perspective of the man in question: Mark, and second, the perspective of the crew.
Let’s look at the situation from Mark’s perspective. He’s stranded with minimal knowledge about the location, he’s aware of his lack of chance in survival, and ultimately, he’s alone. Under these circumstances, anybody would sympathize with Mark. I personally do too. If I was stranded on an island alone, I would want my initial crew to attempt a search for me. In fact, I would most likely feel betrayed, if they didn’t. But then, we transition to the perspective of the crew.
In such a situation, it is important for a leader to realize that his decision will become his responsibility. If Commander Lewis were to make a mistake in order to save someone, who they aren’t even sure is alive, he would end up responsible for more deaths on his team. Just taking probability into account (of Mark’s survival), the right decision was to avoid risking the dangers of his remaining teammates. If I were in Commander Lewis’s position, I would have made the same decision.
So then, from a general view point, who would I sympathize more with? I would personally be more understanding of Commander Lewis’s decision. Despite, the abandonment of Mark, technically, his decision was what kept the others alive. It’s not worth risking the lives of others, for someone who is most likely dead. These lives are not his to make such a bold decision with. Therefore, to address the final part of the question if there was an alternative decision, I believe no.


Comments

  1. I think the crew did the best they could in this type of situation, I think it was right for them to at least try to search for him. Commander Lewis was in a tough decision by having to risk one crew members life, over the rest of his team. I feel as the team could have searched a little longer and in fact try to find the body of Mark even if he was found dead, at least that way they said the found him. I really don't think that abandoning him was the best choice, because that is still someones life that they are putting at stake. So at the end of it all I believe they were wrong for giving up on him, and that they could have came out with a better outcome then they did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts